Stephanie Dougan Writes

Writer, reader, yogi and avid tea drinker.

My first post! Dedicated to December favorites

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)

"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again."

I found this book in my local bookstore, and at first, I wasn't overly impressed by the synopsis on the back. I'm so glad that I gave this book a chance though! I couldn't put it down and rushed online to order the sequel 'World After', which is another page turner.

Angelfall is an exciting, fast-paced read with quirky and likeable characters.

I loved the relationship between Penryn, and Raffe, although it is in no way relatable to ordinary day life.

Penryn is likeable for me because, she's a fighter. There's been a lot of female lead characters in the recent years who have had to fight, kill and steal to survive. Penryn is no exception. Her love interest, Raffe is an Archangel. It's interesting in this series that the angels are demonised, they're despised and feared by the human race. I thought that this was a really interesting spin on some of the previous 'angel and demon' books.

I do wish that there was slightly more development in the relationship between the lead characters. I felt that it was almost, rushed. And that it developed minimally.

The general plot is like nothing that I have read before, so it was a welcome change to open this book and be completely thrown into this crazy, dystopian, hellfire world that Susan Ee has created.

It was well written and easy to read. The pages just seem to fly by, which is important in any book. I don't want to be struggling to reach the next chapter because the story didn't flow together. So rest assured, this is a pleasant novel to read.

Susan Ee first created this series online, which was what first attracted me to the book. Being a writer myself and trudging along on websites like Wattpad and Authonomy, it was nice to see that Susan's book was published.

You can find Susan's book online at:

or visit Susan's website: